Call A-1 Moving Company in Golden Valley, MN well ahead of time. This is the number one moving tip. We recommend one to two months in advance to get an estimate and secure your moving crew for the day.
- Change home or office address
- Transfer utilities
- Contact creditors and correspondents
- Contact health clubs or other organizations you have joined
- Contact your bank
- Call your insurance agent to find out what is covered
- Call your newspaper courier and change your subscription
- Make a moving folder to keep track of everything
- Renew your driver license and auto registration
- If you donate any furniture or clothes, set that up ahead of time before your move date
Before Your Move
- All appliances must be emptied and disconnected (including gas and water lines)
- All boxes should be closed and taped shut; labeling your boxes will help for an organized move
- Stereo equipment, wall hangings, and pictures should be in boxes
- File cabinets should be emptied
- Lamps should be in boxes with the shades in a separate box
- Don't forget storage, basement, and garage areas: these should be boxed and organized
- We do offer packing services, however we do not do any packing on your move day unless you have previously arranged for it
- If you live in an apartment, check with manager for moving rules and elevator time
- During the winter months snow can become a problem on driveways and sidewalks; please note that it is your responsibility to have them cleared prior to our arrival
- Plasma TV's must be shut off at least 12 hours prior to being moved, and allow 24 hours prior to restart after accepting delivery; it must be in a box or crate for delivery
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator and/or freezer at least 24 hours before move day; make sure to have coolers set aside for your freezer
- Drain all gas from any motor that is being moved
- Gas grills should have the propane tank removed before your move date because we cannot transport the tank in our trucks
- Don't hesitate to call if you have any questions or concerns
- Maintain phone service or keep a cell phone on you
- Set aside any cleaning materials you may need
- When loading has been completed take a walk through to make sure we have everything we need to take
- When we arrive at new location, make sure someone is there to direct the movers on where everything goes
- If you wish to have anything unpacked, let your salesperson know as soon as possible
- The driver is responsible for reassembling any items that he disassembled at origin
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the best time to move?
If there is a choice, most moving companies suggest you select a time other than summer or end of the month. The heaviest demands placed on moving companies are June through mid-September. A-1 moving understands that there are many factors which will influence your choice of when you move. We operate year round and will help you design a move that will accommodate your busy schedule.
How long does it take to move?
That depends on many factors including the time of year, weather conditions, time required to load and unload and direction and distance your shipment is traveling.
When should I call a moving company?
The earlier the better. The more time you can give, the more likely we will be able to meet your preferred dates. If possible we suggest 2-3 weeks for a move although, for a smaller move we can often schedule with as little as one to two days’ notice.
How and when should I pay for the move?
We require that all charges be paid by cash, credit card, money order, cashier check or debit card. If you pay with a debit card, check with your bank on limits that you can use per day. We require payment at the end of the move.
Can my possessions be stored temporarily?
If you are unable to take immediate possession of your new residence, your belongings can be stored at our local warehouse until you are ready to move in at a reasonable cost.